Saturday, October 11, 2014

Sounds of Seitan

Our next assignment consisted of trying something new foodwise and somehow expressing how it made us feel using a non-dominant sense. I couldn't use taste because that was the dominant one in the situation. Being vegetarian, I dediced to try something at 3 Carrots in the City Market. I went with a friend and decided to try the seitan gyro. Seitan is made by rising away the starch in wheat and leaving a high protein gluten blend behind. Also called "wheat meat", "wheat gluten" or simply "gluten" Seitan become surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked. Miaking it a popular meat substitute. Seitan is also high protein, making it a popular protein source for vegetarians. Upon taking my first bite, i started to center in on all my senses. My friend was talking to me, but I wasn't paying attention for some time as my mind zoned out as my senses zoned in. It felt like the outer world was replaced by static and my thought were the only ones barely audible throught it. I felt really odd because I had never done this before, plus the seitan was a weird texture. Maybe if it would have been crispier it would have been better. I did like the taste of it, but the texture was kind of rubbery, making it feel like I was eating an eraser. I finished the whole thing though. It was quite an experience. The video I made is supposed to give off an eerie vibe because it gives you the essense of being in my mind when I started thinking about how I was feeling. The Sound puts you in my mind as you experience how I felt when I ate the Seitan. Do you feel as Weird as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment