Monday, December 15, 2014

Altered Book of the Self


After watching the video of the woman who combined technology to her body, I was astounded. This lady managed to break the rules of art and began using herself as the piece. I am astounded by what comes from when people break the rules. I thought it was amazing, so well thought out and innovative, it just made me look around my life and see everything as a potential piece of art just waiting to be made. Combining a media arts and science project with my own body would be amazing. If it could be something that could be used by anyone, then I would have done it right. If I do something, I want it to be able to be used by all because art to me is something that has many interpretations, not just one sided.  Like the identity of the self in the digital world, people only see what you are on there by what you display about yourself. I try to only do positive things on my digital profile because people who haven't even met you may judge you only by what you have displayed, so why let it be negative about you? Positivity will bring good things your way. Creative endeavors will catch their attention, so make sure to do things that come from within. There are many interpretations to anything you create.


For my book, I chose to do it on this history class I had a while back.  Its not that I didn't like the book but the teacher that taught the class was really old and boring, so that is why I chose this book. I saw it as an old boring this I wanted nothing to do with. After careful consideration, I decided to start making changes to it. I didn't really think much about it, just went for it. The finished product is a perfect interpretation of myself. I am innovative with my creativity, meaning I can use whatever is around me to create something out of nothing. I started with something from a past assignment, a broken videotape, and bound the front and back cover of the book. After doing that, I decided to cut the some holes in the book so i could place the video reels in it, to represent my life. The left reel has less because it indicates that my life has just started, the right right has more because that is the rest of the adventures life has waiting for me. I used sand and glue to write the words on the front because for a doodling assignment we had, I used a giant poster board, sand and glue to doodle, and i thought it would be a good idea.





The inside cover is about me and that I am dedicating this book to my teacher, who taught me to see sideways and to stay creative throughout this lifetime.

This is just the intro page along with the table of contents


These pages were for the Egg and the eye assignment.

The Bliss Assignment

The Flavor of Creativity, which I used the sound of taste instead, including a musical card that plays a song when you open the page.

The 50 What ifs....

Rules were made to be broken

The Doodling Assignment

The Fear assignment

And the last one, Who am I and Why am I here?

I managed to change this book from an old boring history book to a fun book about my experience through the creative endeavors i have encountered. I have cut this book up, glued pages, and inserted objects to make it more interesting. After spending a couple of months working on it, it has changed my perspective on my own creativity. I used to think my creativity was slowly dwindling away because of all the mandatory classes I had to take to finally get to the classes i wanted to take. I am finally there and this book proves that my creativity is still alive and well. I am glad to see it survived after years of math, psychology, english, and other basic classes that can suck the life right out of you if you let it. This book inspired me to be my weird creative self, and I will never forget that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment