Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Remembrance of semester past

This semester will be one to never be forgotten. It is mostly because I had this Seeing Sideways class. Never in my years of going to college have I encountered a class that has challenged my creativity, and has been fun along the way. Upon first entering the classroom in early August, nobody really knew how to describe this class. I don't see why they couldn't. I guess they weren't creatively thinking! I can sum up this class as being a course in inner creativity. It lets you be yourself and challenges you to think creatively as you do assignments along the way.  The best part is you can express your creativity through your assignments and let others see as well, which will spark up a conversation among the class describing what they just saw or heard you say.

The first take away from this class is be yourself. Upon entering the class at first, it was really quiet and nobody really wanted to talk because it was the first day, and those can be tough on introverts. Halfway through the class, the teacher challenged us to leave the room without leaving our chairs, which had wheels on them. Hilarity ensued when everyone struggled to get out of the class in their chair, rolling it over a hump in the door entrance. I, on the other hand, was the only one who though outside the box and, without leaving my chair, managed to walk out of the classroom. Yeah I looked like an idiot probably, but this was the first creative challenge that managed to separate me from the others.

The second take away from this class is don't be afraid to show your work. Since high school, the only people i have shown my work to are close friends, for fear of judgement or being told my work was shitty quality (and back then it was). But now, as I enter my second semester, I have still been nervous about showing my work, until this class came along. I am unfortunately horrible with speaking and my choice of words is always weird and strange, but I feel like I wanted to express my thoughts in other ways. Making videos was a good solution for me because I could create a video that would express my thoughts for me, without me making a fool of myself. After making some videos and showing them, people actually like them, and that came as a surprise to me because I didn't think people would understand them or even like them. I felt shaky once after showing my video and getting such good feedback. That feeling made me feel really proud of what I was doing, and will never forget that.

The last thing I took away from this class was don't be afraid to be the creative person you really are. I have enjoyed expressing my creativity through my work in this class because not many other classes allow you to do that. Most other classes are made for you perfecting your skill and making sure it is up to par with certain standards, but this class is more flexible. She give us an assignment and allows us to do whatever we want with it as long as we put some creative thought behind it. I had no problem with this because my creativity has always been running wild with nowhere to be expressed, and after showing my work in this class, people really seemed to enjoy my style. I think my creative style is somewhat rare because nobody really shows what people don't want to see, but some people need to know that just because they don't see it doesn't mean its not there. I want my work to open peoples eyes and to stop ignoring certain subjects because the real world is not as the media portrays it, and its about time someone started showing it as it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment