Saturday, September 13, 2014

Abstract sand art.

Perspective. It's a way of seeing things. Many people love art for that reason. You choose to see it one way and other see it another. For the next assignment we had to doodle for about 30 minutes and see what ideas came from that. I hadn't doodled in quite some time, so I was finding it rather difficult to get this started. Rather than using the traditional pen and paper method, I decided to try something different. I used a poster board for my paper and my pen was a bottle of glue. Unfortunately, both things were white, so I decided to sprinkle sand on top of the glue as it dried so it could be seen. I grabbed my poster board, glue, sand I had just gotten from a creek down the street, and music then headed outside. I thought it would help me be more alert if I was doodling in the fresh air and sunlight. I set a timer up for 30 minutes and then began. I first started by making random marks (spontaneity) in the center of the board. After making a few sets, I would coat the glue with sand, then shake the it off to see a nice line of sand was left behind. I then started making random spirals here and there, but it was still looking very odd. I then started to make the same shapes here and there and I started to see a pattern (serendipity). I made a circle that looked as if the ones that followed were getting bigger. It started to look like the planets for some reason (synchronicity). Then, I thought making a galactic background would be fun. I drizzled glue all over the place and then coated it with sand. After shaking it off, it kind of looked like it was looking like a galaxy, but the random doodles I began with made it seem like only half the page was that, and the rest were all scribbles. I then surrendered and started doing random shit here and there because I didn't know what else to do. I was stuck. I then thought of perspective. It didn't look like anything from the way I was looking at it. I then started turning and then I noticed something odd. It kind of looked like a weird person. Thats when I realized the synchronicity of everything had led me to create this weird abstract person with scribbles for a face that was holding a circle in one had that was connected to others that got smaller. It looked alien-esque. I decided to throw some grass into the picture to make it look like the grass was the type of clothing it wore. It had already been 30 minutes but I kept going. In the end, I had come up with this weird abstract person who looked like they came from beneath the earth. That is what I see at least, what do You see?

No comments:

Post a Comment