Sunday, September 28, 2014

Broken Video Tape

For this assignment, we were supposed to think of a rule to break that would help us get more creative in our endeavors. I had the hardest time trying to think of one. At first, all i could think of was something that could get me in trouble, like sneaking into somewhere private and recording some sort of video. As much as I wanted to do that, I wasn't going to risk getting arrested. I really wanted to make a video on the highway, but that would be too dangerous, even though I like a little risk. Finally I just decided to break the rules of editing videos instead. All I had to do was come up with a short video idea that I could break the editing rules on. While scrounging around my room, I came upon a stack of old video tapes that I never used anymore, seeing as I don't have a VHS player anymore, I decided to them. I don't know how but I ended up taking some apart and thought of the idea to wrap myself in video tape. I really liked the Idea because I love films and this would kind of be a video about me wrapping myself in what I love, film, becoming it. I set up a checkered white and black background and a color changing light and began to film. I opened up the video and took the tape out. While wearing a blazer and tie only, I began to wrap myself in it. After the First one was done, I grabbed another and continued. After being covered in it, I then tried to break free from the web I had woven myself in. It was a bit of a struggle, but I managed to break free at the end. After being free, I stopped recording and started editing. I chose to break the rule of editing by removing every other frame of certain parts of the film and managed to create this weird clipping effect that I kind of liked for the beginning of the movie. Then i butchered some more parts and placed them in random order after  so it wasn't in chronological order. What I got was this nice trippy effect that goes well with a song that came to me while driving on the road. After minor edits here and there, I came up with a nice music video exert. I am glad chose to break that rule because trying new things can lead you to create magnificent ideas that you probably wouldn't of come up with by just following the rules like everyone else. In order to get creative, you got to try different things now and then, break a few rules so you can show other that there are various ways to do things in this world. Different ways to show your perspective. Hope you enjoy the video.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment